Thursday, October 11, 2012

Research 101 - the basics. Where do I start?


Born to Run – Christopher McDougall


Running on Empty: An Ultramarathoner's Story of Love, Loss, and  a  Record-Setting Run Across America  - Marshall Ulrich


 Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner – Dean Karnazes

After some research (did someone say hours? ;-)), I've narrowed down my reading material to the above 3 books. All three are interesting and helpful in their own way. Some key points stick out: even without experience, consistency is a key for success. Even without the appropriate running background, proper research and preparation can get you through the toughest of conditions. And most of all, what is key in all three these books is that the mental preparation for endurance events will carry you through 95% of your race, and physial preparation will account for 5%. It doesn't mean you don't have to physically be prepared and have the right gear, but a combination of body and mind is completely key. OK, time to get off the couch....or better yet....time to visualize me getting off the couch.

3 comments:

Hans said...

It isn't the training that makes it tough, it is the decipline you need to train regurarly that is the tough part

Anonymous said...

Hello, just stumbled on your blog. I want to run the MDS in 2014. Another really good book I can suggest is: Relentless forward Progress from Bryon Powell: I wrote a short article on my site about it: http://wp.geeratz.cc/relentless-forward-progress/

Good luck with your preparations and race!
H.

Anonymous said...

Hello, just stumbled on your blog. I want to run the MDS in 2014. One book I can recommend is: relentless forward progress, an ultramarathon handbook from Bryon Powell. I wrote an short article about it on my website: http://wp.geeratz.cc/relentless-forward-progress/

good luck with your training and race
H.