Thursday, January 31, 2013

MDS Food Plan

After months of research, ordering special foods online and looking in camping stores, I finally found all the freeze dried meals and snacks I will take to the desert. I've considered caloric value (I calculated it as the package weight in ratio to the package caloric content and the packages with the highest calories per weight, made the cut). I also looked at meals that I will eat under normal circumstances, and that I expect to crave when starved, tired, and sore.

The MDS rules state that you have to present a minimum of 2000 calories per day during the technical controls. If you don't have the min calories, you will receive a time penalty. Most people consume 2000 calories on a normal day, without any exertion. Obviously when in the desert, covering huge distances in the heat and sand and carrying 12-15 kgs on your back, we will all need more than the recommended 2000 cals. However, you have to consider weight and cannot take too much more food than the recommended minimum. 

Here's an overview of how I predict each day will look like. I'm within the daily limits of cals and have a good balance of variety, but I might have to make some cuts depending on the pack weight. 







No comments: