Monday, January 7, 2013

Training in phases

As with everything in the preparation for this MDS race, it seems it falls into place when done in stages. Up until October 2012, I was working towards being able to complete my first marathon (TCS Amsterdam Marathon, Oct 21, 2012). As of November, I started doing a specialized weight training program (put together by my triathlete partner who has never had an injury in two competitive racing years). An example of my program for November is below. This type of training was different for me as it required me to have less days off in between sessions, and to train even when in discomfort. Normally I would listen to my body and if my body said 'no way!', I wouldn't force a workout. However, it soon became clear that my 'no way!' was just an excuse and it was possible to do it.


In January my focus will be to walk uphill 3 times a week with a 9-10 kg backpack on my back and to strengthen my core, back, arms and legs with 3 intense weight training sessions a week. Regular cardio sessions and running sessions (one day hill training, one day speed training, and one day slow long run) will make up the remaining of the days. In February I will need to bump up my running/walking totals to 150 km a week (more than double of a good current week) with the aim of doing 250 km of cross training, running and walking in one week towards the end of February. In March I will do longer slow runs with the backpack on and closer to full backpack weight. So step by step, bit by bit I'm hoping to move towards being strong enough and fit enough to be in harsh conditions with 10+kgs on my back for 8-10 hours a day for 6 consecutive days.

No comments: